Posted on 7/28/2018 7:03:00 PM
Having a bamboo furniture adds elegant and style to your home. In many countries, a bamboo furniture in a home symbolizes a priced possession for the owner.
Bamboo is known for its unusual tensile strength and has been used as a standard building material for the majority of the world. Bamboo can replace the use of wood for any application from hardwood floors, furniture, utensils, bike frames, phone cases to almost anything imaginable.
Just like the wooden furnitures, bamboo furnitures need some maintenance to preserve its quality and lifespan. Here are some tips on how we can achieve this.
- As much as possible, do not place your bamboo furniture under direct heat of the sun or in a place where it can easily get wet. Placing it outdoors can be great, however, if possible for it to be placed under a water-proof roof. You can place it indoors or apply a special water-proof cover during rainy seasons. Avoid both water exposure and excessive dryness.
- Always clean your bamboo furnitures with a dry soft cloth or soft brush. You can vacuum first accumulated dirts or dusts. Be sure to clean those accumulated dirts especially on the joints and near the base.
- To help protect your bamboo furnitures against termites, woodborers (bukbok) and fungi (amag) from infesting your furniture, you can apply Solignum Colorless every few months or as necessary.
- For those area where molds had already developed, you can clean the area with light soap water and sponge or soft brush. After cleaning, dry thoroughly. Do not sit on the wet part of the bamboo furniture since a wet bamboo becomes soft and pliable.
- Avoid excessive rocking or shaking your bamboo furnitures. Nails and rattan strings that holds the joints together may loosen.
- Apply furniture oil and/or varnish at least every month or two. This will enhance the beauty and luster of your bamboo furniture, and at the same time adds a protective layer against insects and humidity. Be sure to clean and dry your bamboo furniture first.
Hope these tips will help your bamboo furniture last longer through the years!